Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Taken Captive

Abram lived in the land of Canaan, while Lot lived among the cities of the plain and pitched his tents near Sodom. Genesis 13:12

Lot was Abram’s nephew. They had decided to part company for several reasons (see Genesis 13). Now, if you are not familiar with the city of Sodom; it stands for sin. Lot chose to pitch his tents there. Many of us, mostly unaware, have pitched our tents near sin. We have given the enemy a foothold in certain areas of our life.

They also carried off Abram’s nephew Lot and his possessions, since he was living in Sodom. Genesis 14:12

Lot was taken captive because of his sin! Sodom is known for its sexual perversion but there are many sins that can take root in our life and lead us into captivity. For me, it happened slowly. I began to walk with Christ when I was a teenager, but by the time I was in my mid 20’s I was in a great deal of bondage. I didn’t even realize it. The enemy fools us into wearing more and more chains until one day we wake up and we can’t even move! Chains of depression, anger, pride, adultery, addiction, bitterness, unforgiveness, unbelief, idolatry, gossip, envy, slothfulness and debt had me captive. I will tell you that not only sin can hold us captive but things like anger and depression can as well. These things are not sin in themselves, but for me, they lead me to sin. And they had a firm grip on me. Hebrews 12:1 says that we must throw off the sin that entangles and the things that hinder if we want to run the race that God has called us to run. Sometimes, even "good" things can hinder us. Any thing that is keeping us from being who God has called us to be is a hinderance!

Pray right now. Ask God to reveal any areas of your live where the enemy is holding you captive. Be patient. Psalm 37:7 says, Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him. Sometimes we may not hear Him right away. Give Him time to speak. If you still don’t hear His voice, tell Him that you are listening and ask Him to give you ears to hear. He may speak to you as you go about your day. Keep listening and don’t give up praying!

When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he called out the 318 trained men born in his household and went in pursuit as far as Dan. During the night Abram divided his men to attack them. . . He recovered all the goods and brought back his relative lot and his possessions, together with the women and the other people. Genesis 14: 14-16

Abram went to battle for Lot! There is One who wants to go to battle for you! As I was reading this I couldn’t help but think how much Abram must have loved his nephew to go to battle for him! How much greater does our God love us!

1 comment:

  1. THank you for this post. I will pray as I need to and reflect upon your words.

    Thank you Amy and Becky. It's nice to know that I can still be connected to the COMMONS.

    ReplyDelete

Background