Monday, April 6, 2009

Cry Out

Let’s look at Exodus 2:23-25. The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.

Now, God never forgot about the covenant. But when His Word says that “He remembered” it means that He chose to act.

The Lord called Moses (read Ex. 3 for more details) and He said to him, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey.” Ex. 3:7-8

We’ve already read twice now that the Israelites “cried out!” They must have been desperate! Have you ever cried out to God? If the enemy is oppressing you – it is time to cry out! Have you been praying for God to reveal any strongholds, any areas of captivity in your life? Has he revealed them to you? I hope so. If not, keep praying. He is faithful.

Has anyone recognized any strongholds they would desperately like to be freed from?
I have been there too many times to count. The last time I remember was a few months ago. Pride, depression, bitterness, and anger eventually drove me to my knees. I wished I would have seen it coming. I wish I would have been alerted to the enemy’s attack. I dropped my guard. Satan snuck in. He got me. I felt defeated. Lying on the floor of my closet I cried out to the Only One who could save me. He answered me. And He set me free.

Now, I don’t want this to be about Becky. But I want to give you a real life, flesh and blood, example! I want you to know that this is not a hypothetical situation, it is not a “what if” It is the truth! And it can happen for you! God does what He says He is going to do! He sets the prisoners free! (Psalm 146:7)

It is time to cry out. It is time to pray.

“I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the LORD. Ex. 6:6-8

When we see “the LORD” in our Bible it translates into the Hebrew word Yahweh. God is reminding us who He is! He is Yahweh! He is the One who will redeem His people!
The yoke He is referring to is the Israelites bonds of slavery. In John 8:34, Jesus says, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.” If the enemy has us trapped in a sin that we just keep repeating over and over again – we are slaves to that sin!

Matthew 6:24 says, No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. This verse is applicable to whatever has us bound, not just money!

We can not serve God and be bound by sin. We must break free from whatever is holding us captive so we can live out the life God has called us too!

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matt. 11:28-30

Jesus says, His yoke is easy and His burden is light! Let’s cry out to God! Let’s break these heavy chains that have us bound and seek Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background